A common pump type with a rotating cam that pushes plungers for high pressure.
Related terms: axial cam pump pressure washer
Axial Cam Pump, Pressure Washing & Power Washing
Unlike other pump types, the Axial Cam Pump harnesses a unique rotating cam and piston design to generate the muscle needed for tackling tough cleaning tasks.
The Anatomy of an Axial Cam Pump
While internal components may vary between models, a typical axial cam pump features these key elements:
- Cam: This heart-shaped disc rotates around a central shaft, driving the Cleaning Unit: This is a rough estimate of cleaning power calculated by multiplying PSI and GPM. It's not a perfect measure, but it can help you compare different pressure washers. Related terms: cleaning unit, cleaning power CU, Pressure Washing & Power Washing CU, or Cleaning Unit, is a term u... More.
- Plungers: These cylindrical pistons are positioned radially around the cam and reciprocate within cylinders as the cam rotates.
- Valves: These control the flow of water into and out of the pump chambers.
- Crankshaft: This shaft connects to the engine or motor and drives the rotation of the cam.
How Axial Cam Pumps Generate Power
Imagine the cam as a merry-go-round for pistons. As the cam rotates, its raised lobes push the plungers inward, compressing the water within the cylinders. This compression creates high pressure, which is then channeled through the valves and out to the The trigger-operated device that controls the flow of water and allows you to start and stop the pressure washer. Related terms: Wands, spray nozzle, Spray Guns, Pressure Washing guns, Power Washing guns, cleaning guns, Pressure Washing gun, Power Washing gun Spray Guns, Pressure Washing & Power... More as a powerful cleaning jet.
Here’s a breakdown of the power cycle:
- Intake stroke: The cam lobe retracts, creating a vacuum that draws water into the cylinder.
- Compression stroke: The cam lobe pushes the plunger inward, compressing the water within the cylinder.
- Discharge stroke: The compressed water is forced out of the cylinder through the outlet valve.
- Exhaust stroke: The cam lobe moves to its original position, creating space for the next intake stroke.
This continuous cycle of intake, compression, discharge, and exhaust generates the powerful water pressure that makes axial cam The heart of the pressure washer responsible for generating the high-pressure water. Related terms: Pressure washer pump, power washer pump, cleaning unit Pumps, Pressure Washing & Power Washing Pumps are the core components of pressure washers and power washers, responsible for generating the h... More ideal for Pressure washing is a cleaning method that utilizes a high-pressure stream of water to remove dirt, grime, mold, mildew, and stains from various surfaces and objects. Also known as power washing, pressure wash, power-washing, pressure cleaning, pressure wash it, washing power, high-pressure power wa... More applications.
Advantages of Axial Cam Pumps
Compared to other pump types, axial cam pumps offer several advantages:
- High pressure: They can generate significantly higher pressure than other pump types, making them ideal for tackling tough cleaning jobs.
- Durability: With their simple and robust design, axial cam pumps are known for their reliability and long lifespan.
- Easy maintenance: They require minimal maintenance compared to other pumps, making them a cost-effective choice.
- Compact size: Their compact design makes them suitable for use in various pressure washer models.
Choosing the Right Axial Cam Pump
With a wide range of models available, finding the right axial cam pump for your pressure washer depends on several factors:
- Pressure requirements: Choose a pump with a Pounds per Square Inch: This measurement indicates the force of the water coming out of the pressure washer. Think of it as the "power" of the spray. Related terms: Pounds per square inch, pressure rating, pressure level PSI, Pressure Washing & Power Washing PSI, or pounds per square inch, is a ... More that matches your cleaning needs.
- Flow rate: Select a pump with an adequate flow rate to ensure sufficient water volume for effective cleaning.
- Compatibility: Ensure the pump is compatible with your pressure washer’s engine or motor and connection points.
- Brand and warranty: Consider reputable brands and warranty options for added peace of mind.
More Than Pressure Washing: Applications of Axial Cam Pumps
While widely used in pressure washing, axial cam pumps find applications in other industries and equipment, such as:
- Car washes: Delivering high-pressure water for efficient car cleaning.
- Cleaning industrial facilities, equipment, and machinery to ensure safe and efficient operation. Related terms: Commercial cleaning, factory cleaning, facility cleaning, manufacturing plant cleaning See our commercial cleaning services in Los Angeles Industrial Cleaning, Pressure Washing & Power... More: Providing powerful cleaning power for industrial equipment and facilities.
- Agricultural equipment: Supplying high-pressure spray for crop spraying and other agricultural applications.
By understanding the power and versatility of axial cam pumps, you can harness their cleaning prowess for a wide range of tasks. Remember, they are the dependable champions of pressure washing, delivering the muscle needed to vanquish dirt and grime, leaving behind sparkling surfaces in their wake.